(+–)What We Do
ABA produces stories in built form.
(+–)About the Studio
Abruzzo Bodziak Architects (ABA) is an internationally recognized New York and Connecticut-based practice working on houses, civic spaces, commercial and cultural projects. Our work is defined by an innovative approach to contextuality, relentless focus on detail, and a strong conceptual viewpoint. Current projects include a New York Public Library branch, a Community Justice Center in Connecticut, a food commissary project for an innovative chef, an urban mixed use development, several townhouses, and restoration of two buildlings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
ABA has received numerous recognitions including the Architectural League Prize, AIA New Practices New York, Architectural Record’s Design Vanguard, and Curbed’s Groundbreakers Award. A proponent of civic engagement and the importance of public space, the office is included in New York City Department of Design and Construction’s Design Excellence Program and is a Design Advocates contributing firm. Our projects have been featured in diverse international publications and have been exhibited widely.
- Best of Design Award for Interior - Retail, Architect's Newspaper: maharishi Tribeca
- AN Interior 50, AN Interior Magazine
- Interior Design Best of Year Award, Architectural Installation / Pop-Up: Storefront Library
- 2017 Groundbreakers Award, Curbed
- Design Vanguard 2016, Architectural Record
- Shortlist, Bronx Museum of the Arts Atrium Renovation RFP, NYC DDC Design Excellence
- Best in Show, Design & Architectural Services, at BKLYN Designs, IFDA / International Furnishings and Design Association: Trade
- Winning Proposal, Castle Hill New York Public Library RFP, Bronx, NY, NYC DDC Design Excellence
- Winning Proposal, Queens Borough Hall Parking Facility RFP, Queens, NY, NYC DDC Design Excellence
- AIA Arnold W. Brunner Grant, The 4D Lightful Gardens
- Architects Directory 2013, Wallpaper* Magazine
- Winning Proposal, Queens Public Library Peninsula Branch RFP, Rockaway Beach, NY, NYC DDC Design Excellence
- AIA New York Design Award, Merit Award, Projects: Landscape (Triptych)
- Winning Proposal, AIA New Practices New York Installation Competition, AIA / NY Center for Architecture
- AIA New Practices New York 2012, AIA / NY Center for Architecture
- Selected Participant, desigNYC
- 2010 Architectural League Prize for Young Architects and Designers, “Resource,” The Architectural League of NY
- Winning Proposal, “What’s Your Problem” Competition, Gehry Technologies, 100 Straight Skeletons
- Winning Proposal, Arts Union Beacon, City of Somerville, MA
Our team’s diverse members bring international perspective to ABA, as well as specific experience in areas such as community engagement, research, and fabrication.
Emily Abruzzo, AIA, LEED AP, NCARB is a Founding Partner of ABA. She received her Bachelor of Arts from Columbia College and her Master of Architecture from Princeton University, where she also received a Certificate in Media and Modernity and was named a Fellow at The Center for Arts and Cultural Policy Studies. Currently a Critic at the Yale School of Architecture, Emily is a founding editor and publisher of 306090 Books, a MacDowell Fellow, and a 2020 Public Director on the AIA New York Board. She is a citizen of both the United States and Italy.
Gerald Bodziak, AIA, LEED AP, NCARB is a Founding Partner of ABA. He received his Bachelor of Science from the University of Michigan Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning and his Master of Architecture from Princeton University. Gerald is a Fellow of The Urban Design Forum, and has taught design and construction courses at numerous institutions including Columbia’s Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation. He is a citizen of the United States.
- New York Public Library
- San Francisco Ballet
- AIA New York / New York Center for Architecture
- On The Marc
- The Community League of the Heights
- Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation
- NY Sun Works
- The City of Somerville, MA
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Design Observer
- The Architects Newspaper
- Media Planning Group / HAVAS
- Original Copy
- Storefront for Art and Architecture
- NYC Department of Design & Construction
- NYC Department of Transportation
(+–)Press & Publications
- Madame Architect. Julia Gamolina. “Don’t Wait: Emily Abruzzo on LessonsLearned, Empathy, and Good Partners.”
- Tongues (UK). Catarina Pereira & Alexander Matthews. "Emily Abruzzo & Gerald Bodziak."
- Hinge (Hong Kong). Alex Yuen. "maharishi Tribeca."
- AN Interior. Adrian Madlener. "Turn Around Time: Abruzzo Bodziak Architects inserts curvilinear tectonics in this Brooklyn townhouse renovation."
- Archinect. Katherine Guimapang. “Abruzzo Bodziak Architects Embraces the Beautiful Complexities of Architectural Practice Through Optimism and Narration.”
- Azure (Canada). Kendra Jackson. “In Tribeca, Maharishi’s First International Flagship Has An Appropriately Edgy Vibe."
- Interior Design. Georgina McWhirter. “Abruzzo Bodziak Favors Fatigues Green For Maharishi’s U.S.Flagship in New York.”
- FRAME (The Netherlands). Lauren Grace Morris.“From Tokyo to NYC, here are eight brand new must see shops and cafés.”
- Domus (Italy). Bianca Pichler. “Ephemeral frames in Maharishi’s new shop in New York.”
- AN Interior. Adrian Madlener. “Boxing Day: AbruzzoBodziak Architects designs first U.S. Store for British Brand maharishi.” 2019
- AN Interior. The Editors. "Top of the Class: AN Interior 50."
- Interior Design. Athena Waligore. “Storefront Library by Abruzzo Bodziak Architects: 2018 Best of Year Winner for Installation Project.”
- Wallpaper (UK). Harriet Thorpe. “Storefront for Art and Architecture’s Rotating Bookshelf Creates a Sidewalk Library in NYC.”
- Metalocus (Spain). Antonio G De Juan. “Architecture Books—Yet to Be Written by Abruzzo Bodziak Architects.”
- Designboom. Philip Stevens. “Abruzzo Bodziak Transforms New York's Storefront Gallery Into a Library for Future Books.”
- Architect’s Newspaper. Alex Wong. “Bookshelves for Unwritten Books on Display at the Storefront for Art and Architecture.”
- Frame (the Netherlands). Rab Messina. “Abruzzo Bodziak Turns Pages (and Whole Walls) in an Homage to Architecture Books.”
- Yellowtrace (Australia). Dana Tomić Hughes. “Storefront Library Installation in NYC by Abruzzo Bodziak Architects.”
- New York Magazine. Wendy Goodman. "The Minimalist Melting Pot."
Pulp. David Schaengold and Nicolas Kemper. "Precedence. A Review of: Tempietto Exemplum."
- Curbed. Jenny Xie. "Abruzzo Bodziak Architects Has an Eye for Detail and a Heart for The City."
- TL Magazine (Belgium). Lauren Tucker. “New New York, Reinvented Architecture: The New City Studio.”
- Architectural Record. David Sokol. “Design Vanguard 2016: Abruzzo Bodziak Architects.”
- The Architect’s Newspaper. Matthew Messner. “Twenty Five Architects Tackle Five Current Issues With 25 Models In This Illinois Exhibition.”
- Cultured. Sherri Balefsky. “Cultured 25: Grow A Lot.”
- eOculus. Emma Patiz. “Branching Out: Next Steps for Universal Pre-Kindergarten, Expansion in NYC Libraries.”
- eOculus. Rick Bell. “Saratoga Sings.”
- Artphaire. Brienne Walsh. “Top 10 Rising International Architects.”
- FRAME (The Netherlands). Adrian Madlener. “Top Ten Spatial Installations: Interventions Evaluate Private and Public Spheres.”
- Honest Buildings. Tamara Stone. “A Pop-Up That’s Bringing Down the House.”
- MARK (The Netherlands). “Landscape (Triptych).”
- Istanbul ‘74 Gazette (Turkey). “Architecture Highlights of 2013.”
- Wallpaper. Ellie Stathaki. “Architects Directory 2013.”
- Architectural Record. Lamar Anderson. “Urban Oases.”
- eOculus. Bill Millard “‘FitNation’ Takes a Healthy Idea to the Next Scale.”
- Kerb (Australia). “Publishing as Practice.”
- Daily Dose of Architecture. John Hill. “Two Summer Exhibitions in NYC.”
- Oculus. Richard Staub. “Landscape (Triptych).” Summer 2013: Design Awards.
- Design Observer: Places. Kate Bernheimer. “Fairy Tale Architecture: Snowflake.”
- eOculus. Matt Shoor. “Abruzzo Bodziak Designs With Light and Color.”
- Oculus. Linda Miller. “New Kids on the Boards.” Fall 2012: Learning Curve.
- After 3.11. Taro Igarashi and Masashige Motoe, ed. “Sanctuary Along the Coast.” Japan.
- eOculus. Matt Shoor. “A Chorus of Diverse Voices Representing a New Generation.”
- The Moment / Art Observed. “Pyramid Installation Lights Up NY Center for Architecture.”
- Architect’s Newspaper. Michael Lawlor. “Meet the New Practices.”
- Architectural Record. Tim McKeough. “Nonprofit Groups Get Major Boost from Matchmaker desigNYC.”
- DAMn Magazine #32 (Belgium). Lyle Rexer. “Intervening in the City: NYC’s Design Do-Gooders.”
- Fast Company. Randi Greenberg. “A Pop-Up Greenhouse Could Bring Farm Fresh Food to Food Deserts.”
- Baumeister (Germany). Alexander Gutzmer. “World Trade Center.”
- Oculus. Bill Millard. “A Giant, Hardly Sleeping: The Pro-Bono Sector.” Fall 2011: Interior Activity.
- X-Knowledge Home (Japan). “Sanctuary Along Japan’s Coast.” No.15: Earthquake Relief Issue.
- Young Architects 12: ReSource. Anne Rieselbach, ed. Princeton Architectural Press.
- PIN-UP Magazine For Architectural Entertainment. Matt Stewart. “Ten Questions Ten New York Architects.” No. 10 Spring/Summer 2011.
- Domus. Gideon Fink Shapiro. “Contested Mobility, Future Cities, and Public Light.”
- New York Daily News. Jacob Osterhout. “How Will NYC Look In 2030? Audi’s ‘Urban Future Initiative: Project New York’ Reveals Five Concepts.”
- Wired. Stuart Schwartzapfel. “Audi, Architects Envision New York 2030.”
- Inhabitat. Krista Leahy. “Emerging Architects Imagine NYC In 2030 For The Audi Urban Future Initiative.”
- Detail. Frank Kaltenbach. “5 Drafts for Manhattan 2030.”
- Stylepark. Amelie Znidaric. “The Future’s Just Being Tested in New York.”
- The Daily Green. Brian Clark Howard. “How to Start a Container Garden in Any Amount of Space.”
- Daily Dose of Architecture. John Hill. “ReSource.”
- Vertical Gardens. Lauren Rosati, ed. Exit Art / Chupacabra Publications.
- Growing Urban Habitats, Seeking a New Housing Development Model. Bill Morrish, Katie Swenson and Susanne Schindler, eds. William Stout.
- The Daily Green. Gloria Dawson. “The Past, Present and Future of Green Roofs & Vertical Gardens.”
- Edge As Center: Envisioning the Post Industrial Landscape. Anya Bokov, ed. City of Somerville.
- The Architects Newspaper. Andrew Yang. ”The Big Re-Rig.”
- The Boston Globe. Kristen Green. “The Revitalization of Brickbottom.”
- “Re-Source,” Storefront For Art and Architecture, New York, NY, USA.
- “REJECTED: Architectural Drawings and Their Stories,” Banvard Gallery at TheOhio State University Knowlton School, Columbus, OH, USA.
- "24x24x24," Storefront for Art & Architecture, New York, NY, USA.
- "Tempietto Exemplum," Yale School of Architecture, New Haven, CT, USA.
- "Souvenirs: New New York Icons," Storefront for Art & Architecture, New York, NY, USA.
- “5x5 Participatory Provocations,” OMI International Arts Center, Ghent, NY, USA; Center for Architecture, New York, NY, USA.
- "Tangible Place," New York Studio School Dumbo Sculpture Studio, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
- “Unmeasurability,” RISD Bayard Ewing Building Gallery, Providence, RI, USA.
- “5x5 Participatory Provocations,” University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL, USA; Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative, Cleveland, OH, USA.
- “First Fridays,” The Architectural League of NY, New York, NY, USA.
- “New Brooklyn Architecture,” BKLYN DESIGNS, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
- “Letters to the Mayor,” Storefront for Art & Architecture, New York, NY, USA.
- “2013 Design Awards,” Buenos Aires International Biennial, Buenos Aires, AR.
- “New York New World,” 2013 Subway Show, AIA New York, NY, USA.
- “2013 Design Awards,” AIA New York Center for Architecture, New York, NY, USA.
- “Past Futures, Present, Futures,” Storefront for Art & Architecture, New York, NY, USA.
- “New Practices New York 2012,” AIA New York Center for Architecture, New York, NY, USA.
- “3.11 - Architects’ Reactions to The Great East Japan Earthquake,” Japan Foundation, Sendai, JP.
- “Art, Architecture & Cocktails,” Cristin Tierney Gallery, New York, NY, USA.
- “desigNYC 2011,” GD Cucine, New York, NY, USA.
- “Audi Urban Future Initiative: Project New York,” The New Museum Festival of Ideas, Openhouse Gallery, New York, NY, USA.
- “Vertical Gardens,” Virginia Center for Architecture, Richmond, VA, USA.
- “Constructed Territory,” Robert and Elaine Stein Galleries, Dayton, OH, USA.
- “Architectural League Prize 2010: ReSource,”
- Aronson Gallery, New York, NY, USA.
- “Vertical Gardens,” San Francisco AIA, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- “12 Alumni: Architecture, Change, Globality,” Columbia University, NY, USA.
- “Vertical Gardens,” Exit Art, New York, NY, USA.
- “Edge as Center,” Brickbottom Studios, Somerville, MA, USA.
- “Edge as Center,” Boston Society of Architects, Boston, MA, USA.
(+–)Lectures & Panels
- ACSA Conference at Stanford University, “Full Circle,” 2019
- Impact Justice, “Space For Restorative Justice,” 2019ACSA Conference at Stanford University, “Full Circle,” 2019
- Syracuse University School of Architecture, "Survey." Syracuse, NY, USA.
- Michael Graves College at Kean University, "Architecture is Not an Object." Union, NJ, USA.
- Storefront for Art and Architecture, "24x24x24," New York, NY, USA.
- A/D/O, "New Local / Living." Brooklyn, NY, USA.
- Center for Architecture, “5x5 Participatory Provocations Talk." New York, NY, USA.
- California College of the Arts, “Living Together.” Symposium, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- AIA New York, “Turning Points." New York, NY, USA.
- Storefront for Art and Architecture, "Manifesto Series: The Sharing Movement." New York, NY, USA.
- Rhode Island School of Design, “Current Work.” Lecture, Providence, RI, USA.
- Yale University, “Inspiring Yale.” Conference, New Haven, CT, USA.
- California College of the Arts, “Domestic Affairs.” Symposium, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Godwin Ternbach Museum at Queens College, “The City is a Time Machine.” Lecture, Queens, NY, USA.
- School of Constructed Environments, Parsons the New School for Design, “The Next Sentence is False. The Last Sentence Is True.” Lecture, New York, NY, USA.
- Yale School of Architecture, “Modes of Practice.” Panel Discussion, New Haven, CT, USA.
- BKLYN DESIGNS, “New Brooklyn Architecture.” Panel Discussion moderated by Bill Menking, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
- AIA New York State Convention, “Obesity, Architecture and Bicycles.” Lecture with Rick Bell, Saratoga Springs, NY, USA.
- NYC DDC & AIA NY, “Discovering Synergies Between Libraries and Universal Pre-K.” Presentation on UPK KIT, New York, NY, USA.
- Bloomberg New Energy Finance, “The Future of Cities.” New York, NY, USA.
- AIA National Convention, “FitNation: Changing Culture.” Lecture with Rick Bell and Rhea Williams, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Clinton Global Initiative America, Sustainable Buildings. Working Group, Denver, CO, USA.
- NYC DDC & AIA NY, “Uncovering Synergies: A Design Charette.” New York, NY, USA.
- Satellite Magazine, “Cities+ Speaker” Series. Lecture, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
- Woodbury University, “Time Files.” Lecture, San Diego, CA, USA.
- AIA New York, “Compete to Win: Doing Business With the NYC DDC.” Panel Discussion, New York, NY, USA.
- Princeton University, “New Kids on the Block.” Lecture & Panel Discussion, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- Axor & Vitra Showroom, “AIA New Practices New York Lecture Series.” Lecture, New York, NY, USA.
- Center for Architecture, “New Practices New York Winners’ Roundtable.” Panel Discussion, New York, NY, USA.
- Center for Architecture, “Helsinki – New York: Newly Drawn.” Roundtable Discussion, New York, NY, USA.
- “1013 Main Street” tbs eFM Radio (Seoul, Korea). Radio Interview Conversation with Ahn Junghyun on ABA’s Pop-Up Farm, USA.
- New York Institute of Technology Lecturer ABA Urban Design Projects. New York, NY, USA.
- Hello Etsy, “The Challenges of Sustainable Design in a Local Ecosystem.” Panel Discussion moderated by Laetitia Wolff, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
- Storefront for Art and Architecture, “Cabaret 02 - Monsterpieces Launch.” New York, NY, USA.
- ACADIA: Life InFormation Conference at The Cooper Union Moderator Panel discussion with Antoine Picon, George Legendre and co-moderator Alessandra Ponte. New York, NY, USA.
- The Architectural League of New York, “Architectural League Prize 2010: ReSource.” Lecture, New York, NY, USA.
- Parsons The New School For Design, “Candide: Journal for Architectural Knowledge.” Panel discussion moderated by Susanne Schindler, New York, NY, USA.
- The Architectural League of New York, “Architecture’s Dimensions.” Panel discussion moderated by Emily Abruzzo and Jonathan Solomon, New York, NY, USA.
- The Architectural League of New York, “On Models.” Panel discussion moderated by Emily Abruzzo, Eric Ellingsen, and Jonathan Solomon, New York, NY, USA.
- Columbia University Architecture Society, “Alternative Careers in Architecture.” Panel, New York, NY, USA.
- The Architectural League of New York, “Decoration and Architecture.” Panel discussion moderated by Emily Abruzzo and Jonathan Solomon with Respondent Kent Bloomer, New York, NY, USA.
- Boston Society of Architects, “Redevelopment of the Brickbottom Area.” Panel Discussion, Boston, MA, USA.
- Princeton Center for Arts and Cultural Policy Studies, “Shopping the Museum into the 21st Century.” Lecture, Princeton, NJ, USA.